Amending a Birth Certificate

How to amend a birth certificate
This form is used to amend a birth certificate when there has been a spelling error or when items have been left blank.

When amending a birth certificate on a child under the age of 18, both parents (parents who are listed on original birth certificate) must sign this form in the presence of a notary.

When amending a birth certificate on an adult 18 and over, must be signed by an older relative (preferably immediate relative).

This application CANNOT be used to add the father's information to the birth certificate.

In some cases additional supportive documents must be presented along with this application.

There is a filing fee of $15, check or money order is accepted. Payable Vital Statistics Unit DHSH. For an additional $22, a corrected certified birth certificate can be mailed to you. Any further questions with this process, the State Health Department can be reached at 1-888-963-7111.

The address to mail to:
Vital Statistics Unit DSHS
PO BOX 12040
Austin, TX 78711-2040

Please visit the Texas State Health Department's website for current form VS-170