History of the Wichita Falls Police Department
The History of the Department
The Wichita Falls Police Department was established in 1890 with a chief and four officers. The first Chief of Police was Charles Bryan, who served from 1891-1906. There have been a total of 22 Police Chiefs from 1890-2006. The longest-serving Chief was C.C “Bud “Daniel, who served 28 years from 1949-1977. There were Police Chiefs who only did a few weeks and others who served twenty years. In 1921 the department had four different Police Chiefs.
Chief "Bud" Daniel was recognized as quite an innovator. He was responsible for beginning the Recruit Training Academy, which is still being used today; the WFPD also became a Civil Service Police Department under his watch. Chief Daniel was responsible for placing the first women in the role of police officers. Chief Curtis Harrelson was the first to hire women for the position of Police Officer and train them in the Wichita Falls Police Academy as equally trained and fully functioning Patrol Officers. See all Wichita Falls Police Chiefs
First Police Chief of Wichita Falls
Serving From 1891-1906
Wichita Falls Police Department 1931
A Growing Department
The Wichita Falls Police Department has grown as the city's population has grown. In 1891 five officers were serving a population of 1,987. In 1931 47 officers were serving a growing population of 43,690. As of today, the Police Department is authorized to have 203 sworn officers and 103 civilian positions, serving a population of approximately 107,000.
1000 Ohio St. 1962
610 Holliday St.
Public Safety Training Center
In 2005 a new 4.5 million dollar Public Safety Training Center was completed. Police Training, Traffic Investigation, and Community Services Offices were moved to this location, as well as the 911 Communications Center and all other dispatch services, formerly housed at 610 Holliday St. The old dispatch center was retained for a backup in case of a disaster situation.
Public Safety Training Center 710 Flood St.
|The WFPD is one of the few departments in the state that still has its own training facility and conducts its own academy. The Wichita Falls Police Academy is fully accredited by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education and is recognized for its outstanding training facilities and training staff.|
The Training section provides regional training for smaller departments as well as training the
Wichita Falls Police Officers and conducting the Academy.
911 Communications Center 1998
911 Communications Center 2007
First Wichita Falls Police Academy
Graduating Class February 2, 1957
Wichita Falls Police Academy
In February 1957, the first formal Wichita Falls Police Academy began; the first class had 8 graduates. Over the years, the academy size varied depending on manpower shortages. The smallest class was the 15th which had 4 graduates in September 1962. The largest class was the 54th which had 20 graduates in May 2001. The Academy has become recognized as one of the top training facilities in the state. The Training Staff not only trains Academy Recruits but is also responsible for keeping the entire department updated and current on all training. Many agencies from the surrounding region come to our Academy for their training.
If you have additional information or photos you would like to have added to the WFPD history pages. Please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org or call (940) 720-5016.